Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What are YOU Missing?

One of the blogs that I follow had a post today which reminded me of something that struck me during the preaching at my Church this past Sunday. I had planned a short post about this "Eureka" moment, but had not found the time yet.

The post I read contained an illustration that likely many of you have heard before; I certainly had. It speaks of how a baby is all cute and cuddly and lovable and basically helpless. But then it goes on to say how that same baby, if he grows older, but never matures, is no longer so cute and cuddly. If he were to reach the age of, say 21, and still cannot provide for himself, cannot clean up after himself, and is still just as helpless as when a baby, and this is all by his own choice, then one might be tempted to call him some sort of monster.

The analogy is that of the "Christian" who never grows up. Still no spiritual growth after 5, 10, 25 years of having a testimony of salvation. Never even read the Bible all the way through. This was what brought to mind last Sunday's sermon.

I don't recall now exactly what the statement was that my pastor made. But I do remember that what he said immediately brought to mind a verse of scripture. And I had the feeling that he was alluding to that verse without stating it specifically. I even remember thinking that if I had been preaching, I would have felt compelled to either read or point out the verse, because if someone was not familiar with the Bible, they would not get the connection; not get the full meaning.

Then it hit me. If you are not thoroughly familiar with the Bible, you are missing a big chunk of every sermon you might hear.

John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my Name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, which I have told you." (1599 Geneva Bible)

I don't think I am taking this verse out of context by taking this from it: it is the Holy Spirit that brings to our memory scriptures when needed. The problem is, you cannot remember what you do not know.

So, if you call yourself a Christian, isn't it about time that you grow up? You have no idea of all that you are missing.

2 comments:

Judy LaParne said...

Amen to that! My bible study group is doing Revelation and we had all expressed that we were concerned that it was such a difficult book we wouldnt understand. God makes the same promise to us that you refered to, in Revelation 1:3 and even promises to bless us for learning it. What an awesome Father we know!
I wanted to give you a suggestion for a blog to read and enjoy...
http://www.bikerschurch.com/robdale/

God bless you,my friend. Enjoy reading your blog, very much!!

St. Lee said...

Hi Judy, thanks for the comment. I will check out the link you mentioned.