Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year: Looking Back and Forward

Here we are in 2011. As they say, time flies when your having fun! A little over a year ago I took some time and wrote about my blogging goals for last year. I guess its only fair to take a look and see how I did.

The first item on my list was to write about my adventures drag racing a Knucklehead during the 1986 season. Well, I took a wild swing at the first pitch and then got caught looking as the next two strikes (the rest of 2010) whizzed by. In other words, I did make an attempt at beginning the tale, but wasn't happy with the little I wrote, and never got back to it.

I did just a little better with plans to do a series on installing a big intake valve in Knuckleheads. I wrote an article on installing a new exhaust seat in the heads, in preparation to to the big intake valve conversion, but that was as far as the writing went. The work on the heads continued, because I wanted them for my display at the annual Donnie Smith Bike Show in March, but I did not find the time to do an article. The heads remain in a showcase at the shop, about 90% done but still lacking a flow test.

The third item on my "to-do" list, was to pursue a better flowing port configuration for Shovelheads. Here, again, I got some of the prototype work done, but nothing as far as documentation for the blog. I am excited about the project though. I have started with a set of new S&S Shovelhead castings, which have lots of "meat" to work with, along with a slightly smaller exhaust valve, which should help to give valve to valve clearance at top dead center without sinking them so deep. Of course, as usual, there does not seem to be a suitable intake valve readily available. A thin-stem (5/16") with 2.0" head diameter would seem to be in order. At least there are 5/6" stem Shovel guides available, so I won't have to leap that hurdle.

So, of the three blog projects that I proposed, I finished exactly zero. What is that old saying; men make plans and God laughs? Well, I choose to laugh along with him. Performance work on vintage Harleys, while I get a lot of enjoyment from it (and it helps pay the bills), is of very little lasting value. Much more important is that which pertains to the Kingdom of God. By God's grace I was able to deliver nine sermons at the local nursing home this past year. I also spoke briefly at my brother's funeral, and I filled the pulpit twice at our Church. Many of those messaged did make it to the pages of this blog.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: (Matthew 6:19-20)

So, going forward into 2011, what can you expect to find here at Knucklehead Theology? Well, maybe I can get some of last years projects finished up. But much more importantly, God willing, you will continue to find God's word and God's glory proclaimed here.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Great blog, Lee! Happy New Year!